I love reading and especially browsing through books in a good old independent bookstore. True that the latter are few and far between nowadays, but the magic is still there if you are lucky enough to find these now hidden gems. When I’m walking around and my eye catches one, I’m suddenly transfixed and the pull to walking in is disarming. I always give in and dive into the magic world of books. The positive effect of reading is immeasurable. I’m sure I’m not alone.
The positive effects of reading according to me:
- Books transport you, soothe you and help you forget time and place.
- It triggers your imagination.
- Books are a great place to hide when you are not so “well.”
- You can choose what to read depending on your mood and books have the ability to change your emotions at any given time.
- You learn “second hand” new experiences.
- You become one with the author.
- There is no limit to what you can read.
- It’s a source of inspiration.
- You cannot fight with a book.
- You are never alone and can always count on a book to keep you company.
- Reading sharpens the mind.
- You can experience all your emotions without all the suffering. You close the book and the emotions will wear off.
- Reading helps you get away from the crazy social media frenzy.
- It’s a rest stop in a crazy day.
- …The list goes on………
Of course, the choice of books is yours as we all have different appetites, but there is a good book for every single one of us. Take your pick and discover your next adventure without leaving your chair.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot