My father as a kid instilled in me many great things, but one that carries on is my love of awakening way before dawn. It is in these moments that I have a clearer mind and I find my peace. There are positives to this early rising, besides peace:
Forbes has an interesting take on early risers backed by science and simple common sense:
- Creative thinking: Just knowing everyone is asleep helps your mind get a head start to the day and you may find that your mind is free to roam and be creative.
- Your emotions are in check. You can think about what you did yesterday with a new perspective. Kind of like having a clean slate to work with.
- You can get your exercise in before work which also helps you focus better.
- What didn’t make sense yesterday, in these early mornings, you may find that over sleep you have uncluttered your mind and can focus on the essential.
- You don’t start your day in a rush and can prioritize and get ready for the day ahead.
- This is obviously the best time to meditate and readjust your thinking.
- For me, it’s not about being a morning person. If I go to bed early, I’ll get up early.
- It is at this time you can start working on your gratitude. One more day alive which we take so much for granted.
- You beat the traffic!
- You can get to the office early and work peacefully before your team arrives.
- Things that last night seemed so grim, look much better in the wee hours when you are alone with your thoughts.
- You have more time to make decisions without disruption.
- You don’t have to rush e-mails.
There are many more advantages, but these are the ones that I experience and live with.
I encourage you to try this for a week!